Students in this program start to learn about the geo-dynamics of avalanches and how weather, terrain, and snowpack all play significant roles in creation of avalanches. They gain an understanding of the basic physics of snow science and how the metamorphism of individual snow crystals results in a recipe for disaster. This course is taught the the perspective of a recreationist accessing the outdoors and emphasizes the dangers when humans interact with avalanches. This can be extended to a full day adventure in the backcountry. To learn more about avalanche field days, click here.
- One hour course
- For groups of up to 30 students
- This course is best for people ages 11+.
- This is a great course for adult groups, outdoor clubs, or as a precursor for a backcountry teambuilding experience for your corporate group!
The course includes:
- Media presentation provided by the Utah Avalanche Center that was created specifically for youth
- Interactive avalanche model
- This course is inclusive of people with alternate nutritional, physical, emotional, and learning needs